Tuesday, August 20, 2002

I am really looking forward to the State Fair this year, more so than previous years. This year, not only is UB playing a few sets, but I've decided to do something I've always wanted to do: enter the knitting competition. I'm excited...I've got a good idea of what I want to knit. I figure with UB there, I have a pretty awesome good-luck charm. Not that I really expect to win, it just feels neat to enter. I feel like I am finally at my point where something I make might appeal to others. As for now, I am keeping mum about what I am going to actually knit, as to not ruin the surprise. Hint: it will have something to do with babies. That is all I'm throwing at you.


When we were in Windsor, we had the pleasure of meeting Henry and Rosemary Schiller, a retired renaissance couple. Hank is a retired surgeon, Rosemary is an established author and humanitarian. Rosemary did beautiful works of needlepoint, and Hank's passion is woodcarving. He has practiced the craft just because, he says, he didn't want to get bored during his retirement. He showed us his woodcarvings, incredible lifelike sculptures of birds, horses, woodcarved portraits of the Pope and other friends, as well as my favorite, a pair of hands, one a large masculine hand, the other a small dainty woman's hand, with the engraved words "I love you [Rosemary]." For about an hour, Hank waxed philosophical on his craft, and encouraged us to just keep at our own hobbies in order to master them. But I have a feeling Hank has more natural talent than he lets on. If he's half the surgeon as he is a woodcarver, I'll have no objections with him in the operating room ( I don't have to worry- according to the people of Windsor, he was the best surgeon in Ontario.) I guess I've been thinking of them a lot since I got back, almost every time I pick up my knitting needles. I plan to send them pictures when I'm done, along with a note of thanks for the inspiration.




Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?