Saturday, August 31, 2002

So, I am watching a documentary on Nostradamus, the French physician who made many predictions about the future. He describes the rise of three leaders that will cause terror. The first, many scholars believe, is Napoleon Bonaparte. The second is theorized to be Hitler. Nostradamus even called him by name, HISTER. Only one letter off. The third…the documentary, shot with Orson Wells, circa 1979, describes of a leader yet to come. A king who will come out of the east wearing a blue turban. The terror of mankind, who wages war against the west. He even names the date, 1999 and that the target in question would be destroyed by fire. The place: New York.

During the Gulf War, it was hypothesized that Saddam Hussein was the third king. I think scholars were also ruling out the Ayatollah during the whole uprising in Iran.
Now I think they’re looking at Bin Laden and Al Queda. It’s f*cking spooky how on the ball this guy was. He apparently predicted the assassinations of Lincoln and Kennedy, the French Revolution, and the Cold War. As for me, my skeptic side thinks of him as a brilliant early sociologist rather than a prophet. Plus, it’s all in the interpretation of the writings. Sort of like Shakespeare.

There are many images on the TV, since September begins tomorrow, and many are not looking forward to it this year. For me, I realize I have become a different person from a year ago. I was working on a psychiatric unit, and it took me a few months to realize that I wasn’t happy working with psychiatric patients, although my hat is off to those who find it rewarding and I respect mental health nurses as a vital part to nursing. We didn’t use IV therapy because needles and long tubing can be used by suicidal patients to harm themselves. Our patients had to not require any medical intervention on our unit. I was a new grad working in psych, so I realized I didn’t really have much medical management experience. Many colleagues reported valuable, deep relationships with their patients, something I really couldn’t accomplish in psych because many of our patients suffer from personality disorders, making it difficult to establish a functional relationship with them, because they have a tendency to manipulate those around them. I decided on oncology by talking to my then co-worker, Lucy, who was an oncology nurse for years, and told me it was still her first love, but it became difficult for her physically. But I figured it was a place of wonder, a place where I could work with patients with whom I could forge deep and meaningful relationships. So far, I have not been disappointed. Not to say that we don’t have the occasional bad seed who becomes verbally abusive or demanding or uncooperative, but for the most part, our patients rock, I am learning a lot, and I feel like I am in a better position to teach others about health education and nursing. Hence the start-up of OncoBlog.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?