Thursday, September 19, 2002

Last night the Better Half and I watched a documentary on Chuck Jones, animator of Bugs, Daffy and some of the best damn cartoons in the U.S. Highlights included the Three Bears serial, as well as One Froggy Evening with Michigan J. Frog ("Hello my baby, hello my honey?), and the Dot and The Line. There was clip of The Opera episode (with Elmer Fudd singing "Kill the Wabbit.") and the Barber of Seville. And of course, the Coyote and the Road Runner. Very very funny stuff. It's really interesting what kind of an audience these cartoons aimed for, verses the actual audience. I mean, I was watching these cartoons when I was a kid, and the average Chuck Jones cartoon aims for an adult audience; it's rather sophisticated humor. I think that is what makes a good cartoon, one that can appeal to a mass audience. Today's good cartoons- Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Simpsons and South Park- do just that.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?