Saturday, November 23, 2002

I am feeling good today. I am sitting downstairs, listening to the opera Samson And Deliliah on NPR. The Better Half is upstairs in his office. I can hear the strains of Neil Diamond and The Better Half’s off-key karaoke of “Play Me” over my radio program. At my feet are the latest issues of People Weekly, Vogue, and Us. Brain candy.

I realize how much of myself is wrapped up in nursing. Every so often, I need a break, a sabbatical, where I tap into my other interests and I am reassured that I am not one-dimensional. I like rock and roll music, Russell Crowe, F. Scott Fitzgerald, the works of Mary Cassatt and, of course, knitting. I want to take scuba diving and sewing lessons before I get married. I used to consider myself active, although recently I haven’t done as much as I’d like. I get tired so easily now, and after working a twelve-hour shift, all I wanted to do was go home and stay put. With a rotating schedule to boot, I couldn’t ever commit to a class that met at a certain time each week. I realize that working in a hospital just doesn’t feel right for me now, although I needed the experience. Now I feel it is time to move out of that mold.

Whatever this new job is, it will free me up for most weekends and holidays and evenings. I am really looking forward to that.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?