Thursday, November 21, 2002

Okay, I feel like a bit of a job whore. I've booked 3 interviews today. First I am going to talk with a local hospital about the admissions unit there. It's Monday thru Friday, possibly less since those nurses work ten hour shifts. It's been a recent trend in hospital admissions. It's a unit designed for people who are non-emergencies, so that the ER isn't swamped. People with minor wounds, diabetic issues, etc. Things that are triaged as non-priority in the ER.

Then at one, the BIG MEETING with Barbara from the Home Care place. This is still my first choice. I could totally see myself toddling around Richmond, stopping in at patient's houses, eating lunch with pals in Carytown and getting good money for it. (My mom says I tend to romanticize my jobs a bit...ya think?) It sounds kind of stupid, but the other day I was doing some research in home health and came across an ad for the field bags carried by the nurses. I stared at the ad for twenty minutes. I WANTED to carry one of those bags. Also, since I love purses and handbags, it only seems natural that I want this job!

Then at three, the meeting with the dermatologists office. Great job, good lifestyle. Weekends and holidays off. Pay isn't stellar, but right now in my life I could manage it. I realize that this is the time to experiment with career. The Better Half does his own thing and there are no kids, and no real pressure to make the big bucks and be a grown-up. Probably my second choice, as I would function pretty independently, not having to oversee anyone, making my own appointments, and assist if necessary. Also would do education and inservices, which are tons of fun.

I've also thought about what I'm leaving behind. Great benefits. Lots of resources if you get stuck in a jam. Excellent nursing reputation. However, there are the pitfalls, like any job. Snot-nosed residents, bad food, contagious bouts of low morale, increased workload, seeing how managed care can screw over patients. Seeing patients die. I used to think that the hospital was the be-all, end-all. I thought I'd always work there. But I realize that it's time to change. To try something else. To explore. I'll keep you guys posted as to what happens today!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?