Wednesday, February 12, 2003

Okay, today really was a roller coaster. I got criticism from two of the docs- delivered via my boss, Anne. Most of the docs are really good about offering feedback to me, but there is one who shall remain nameless to whom my respect has dwindled. Basically, this doctor never ever mentioned the incident in question to me, the entire day. That is a big pet peeve of mine. I am almost tempted to tell the docs that they can always come to me and offer me feedback. I'll even promise I won't bite, cry, or yell at them if they do. After I vented to the Better Half, I felt a bit better. It's not right to judge, or to criticize others, and I just have to ask for more patience. But also, I am going to sharpen up on my documentation skills...just in case. (I consider myself spiritual...not stupid.)

Meantime, Dr. S asked me to help her with a clinical trial she applied for, and there is a school that is having a health fair and want me to come and speak on preteen skin care. So those were the good points of the day, and really they did outweigh the bad. The inservice I helped to organize went well also, but I think that from now on, I want written approval from all the heads of the departments before anything is put into action. People weren't happy they had to give up their lunch hour. Oh well, can't please everyone, right?

I realized how burned out on patient care I was when I came to the office. Dr. B said something to me yesterday that sticks. "Most people here think 'I'd be able to get my work done if the patients weren't here.' " They have to pause their paperwork in order to usher the patients into rooms or assist with surgery. Today I got to put dressings on a woman with severe scaly legs. She had suffered a stroke and can't move very well. It wasn't until tonight that it hit me how sad it was that her legs were in such terrible shape. That she was in such terrible shape. And that I need to be more of a nurse to her. It's slowly starting to come back to me, the fire I once had. Nursing pumps through my veins. I'm very proud of what I am, no matter what setting, and that I make my life serving others.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?