Sunday, April 06, 2003

Marian has raised some good points.

I really still don't know where I stand on this. I hate the idea of war. I hate the idea of kids younger than my sister having to go to war. I hate hearing that Iraqi citizens are being killed. I hate hearing that our soldiers and journalists are taken hostage, tortured and killed. I'm not crazy about the fact that we invaded a country, that we're playing offense, not defense. And I'm worried that the countries who hate us will just hate us more, and the countries that weren't too crazy about us, like France, will start to hate us more.

Although...

I realize that soldiers are soldiers. They sign up knowing what to expect. Although they too hate the idea of war, many of them are very proud of what they do. Many of them are prepared to lay down their lives for their country. They have been trained carefully, told the truth about what might happen to them "over there." They have been given a duty to defend us, and they're doing a great job.

I learned that the main plan was to get rid of Saddam and give Iraq back to the Iraqi people. That's cool to me. I can dig it. Just don't mention touchy subjects like oil or Islam, and all will be well.

As for the French...if we visit Paris, we'll just tell em we're Canadian. I honestly don't think they as a country never gave a flying le f&ck about the U.S.A. to begin with. I don't think that's going to change because of this war or any war. Greeks, Turks, Italians, Dutch...they got our back. Did you ever see a French soldier on an episode of M*A*S*H? Didn't think so.

Okay...I'm still confused. Maybe this will make sense tomorrow. I will try again then.





Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?