Monday, September 01, 2003

The latest issue of Rolling Stone, which I picked up today on an outing with Big, boasts "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time." The music critics here at The Corner, who basically are guesting blogger John "Mr. Big" Y. and myself have decided to write a two part commentary on this recent article. I've decided, since I'm the equilvalent of the straight man in this Martin & Lewis comedy duo of a relationship, I'd do the more unbiased Ben Fung Torres- inspired part, while John Y., since his reaction to the list was more of a physical nature than my own (I believe the reaction bordered along the lines of :"wha' the F*CK...no Zakk Wylde? F*Ckin Rolling Stone, f*ck them up their stupid a$$es!") will go all out Hunter S. Thompson style.
(Disclaimer: This is the opinion of two non-musically inclined yet rather die-hard music fans who happen to be carrying on a very formal conversation over Krispy Kreme Doughnuts and sporting T-shirts that feature Care Bears and the phrase "I smile because you've all finally driven me insane." Please don't take it as the be-all, end-all stance on rock-and-roll. We're sure we're going to be calling each other numerous times during the week dropping names of other unfortunate guitarists that failed to make the precious cut.)
So with that, we cue the music:

Who was the top 5:
5) Robert Johnson
4) Eric Clapton
3) B.B. King
2) Duane Allman
1) Jimi Hendrix

My Top Five:
For #5 and #4, I'd leave Johnson and Clapton. I'd put Jimmy Page as #2 (he made RBs list at #9), and switch Hendrix to #3. My #1 guitarist is B.B. King.

Others: I must disagree with the choice of #12, Kurt Cobain. Although a superior songwriter, I find him at best a fair guitarist. Also I am disturbed that he scored higher on the list than Carlos Santana (#15), George Harrison (#21), Bo Diddley (#37), and Robby Krieger of The Doors (#91).

Who should have been on the list but wasn't (according to me): Slash, Bob Dylan, John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Roy Orbison, Bootsy Collins, Zakk Wylde, Bonnie Raitt, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, South Wind's Don, Richie Sambora, and Ted Nugent.

Who should have scored higher than they did, otherwise known as the "I can't believe Cobain ranked friggin #12!" category: Greg Ginn (#99)
Angus Young (#96), Eddie Van Halen (#70), Keith Richards (#10), Stephen Stills (#28),
Jeff Beck (#14), Frank Zappa (#45), Lou Reed (#52), Randy Rhoads (#85) and PETE TOWNSHEND (#50???)

Who had no business being there: The Edge (#24), Jack White (#17), Kirk Hammett (#11), Ike Turner (#61)

Please see John Y's blog, Mixed Nuts, for more commentary. Comments can be sent via FiFi at the link to the right of the page. Just keep it nice. To be continued...?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?