Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I was feeling very negative recently, due to an unpleasant experience with a patient's family. My productivity dropped to the point Leslie called me into her office, concerned. Yoga and some on-the-job therapy helped a little bit, but I found what I needed most was closure. Yesterday, the family called me and asked for my assistance. I stayed with them for a while, making an effort to help console the patient's daughter. At the end of my visit, she put her arms around me and squeezed my neck in a big bear hug. It felt damn good.

Penn and Teller's Bullshit is a very interesting DVD series. For those of you who are unaware, Penn and Teller are magician/comics who perform in Vegas, etc. They are very tongue-in-cheek, and sometimes reveal how they perform their tricks. They also have a weekly show on Showtime called Bullshit. Mainly their targets are anything that claims to be scientific, but has no scientific evidence of existance- feng shui, magnet therapy, alien abduction, communication with the dead, etc. Funny as hell. So far my favorites are the alternative medicine episode and the environmental hysteria episodes (P&T circulate a petition to ban hydrogen dioxide [h20, or water!] in a crowd of dorky "environmentalists" at a rally in D.C., to see how many of these geniuses actually sign it, meaning they know dick about the enviroment and simply wanna join something that sounds kewl).
But P&T are very sympathetic to the people who fall for these gimmicks, and are very critical of people who sell the crapola to them. Very very good stuff.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?